"This rule has been applied by the system administrator and cannot be modified"

In windows server 2008, I created a rule in "Windows firewall with advance security" sub "Connection security rule" called "test".

Rule is for Authentication. require inbound and request outbound.

Now, I can't delete or disable the rule even as an administrator.

I also have a second rule that I like, but I also can't be modified.

How do I get access so I can delete,disable and/or modify the rules that I created?

note: I don't see the rule in netsh advancefirewall. The computer is a domain controller.

• Edited by rob_umf Tuesday, March 16, 2010 6:30 PM spell check.
March 16th, 2010 5:59pm

Hi Rob,

Have you started the "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" console with "Run as administrator" option?

Regards,
Wilson Jia
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 17th, 2010 3:30am

Yes.
March 17th, 2010 9:35pm

Reopening and bumping this one.

Still no resolution and it's preventing me from connecting to my work machine from home, even when I'm on the VPN. This wasn't a problem until I installed Forefront.

April 21st, 2010 4:53pm

Perhaps the rule was added through the GroupPolicy editor:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314488

1. Click Start , click Run , type mmc , and then click OK .
  2. On the File menu, click Add/Remove Snap-in .
  3. Click Add .
  4. Under Available Stand-alone Snap-ins , click Group Policy Object Editor , click Add , and then click Finish .

March 16th, 2011 11:16pm

Is there a resolution to this issue? I am seeing a similare issue with a firewall rule which I cannot delete or disable, I don's see anything in local policy and I have the ForeFront client running on this server.
June 1st, 2011 1:18pm

Here's what I did to fix my problem, maybe it could help you as well. 

Go to services, disable windows firewall from startup, reboot, modify your changes.  I also thought about disjoining the computer from the domain from inherting this group policy but luckily I didn't need to go that far.  Good luck.

August 31st, 2011 6:34am

Hi,

Can you please let me know how you changed the settings withthe firewall service not started?  I'm trying to delete some rules but reportedly prevented by group policies but none of these items are in group policies.  I beleive they were created as rules onthe Win 7/32 workstation.  Have tried when logged in as Adminstrator 

Thanks.

January 6th, 2013 11:06am

If a rule has been added by the local system administrator as a Local Security Policy, it cannot be changed in the Server Manager. First delete the rule from the Local Security Policy and the refresh the Server Manager.

I hope this helps.

March 30th, 2013 6:48pm

I has a similar problem for Windows 8.1. I created an ipsec firewall rule in the local group policy editor. This rule broke too many things so I deleted the rule from the local group policy. However, this didn't remove the actual firewall rule. I tried a few different things. In the end I had to change the startup type to disabled, and reboot my computer. After that I enabled and started the Windows Firewall service, and the rule was gone. 
July 17th, 2015 5:24pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics